Wednesday, September 4, 2013

He's here, He's here, and he's healthy

I haven't posted anything ina really long time because I was so nervous my whole pregnancy.  I was pretty irrational in fact.  I was convinced he would have horns on his head and all sorts of weird problems. The 20 week ultrasound showed that he was a healthy little boy and that everything else they saw looked great.  When I came back for my 24 week appointment they needed a few more views that they weren't able to get at the previous ultrasound,  and that was when I got hit with some worrisome news.  They had noticed that the baby had a little hydronephrosis. My doctor said that was very common and that it usually resolves itself before the baby is even born.  The other concern was that the baby had a single umbilical artery.  I can't explain it very well but if you look up SUA on the web you will find a lot of stuff.  Basically they watch you pretty closely with non stress tests and ultrasounds to see if the baby is growing well and if they are in distress at all.  My doctor also recommended that we deliver at 37 weeks because the risks for losing the baby are higher with SUA.  Because the placenta can be compromised (and his was..we found out later)  So we knew our little guy was going to be on the small side. Going on the internet and googling medical conditions is never a good idea though when you are already an overly anxious person and pregnant. SUA is linked with Down's syndrome among other things. 

I have a great OB whom I love and trust completely so when he told me not to worry and everything would be all right, I tried very hard to believe him. We had  twice weekly non stress tests starting at 31 weeks and watched him on ultrasound to monitor his growth.  And everything was going good but I was still relieved at getting him out a little early.

Tuesday July 16th was the day and there was not a lot of sleep to be had in our house the night before.  So much excitement to hold my baby, and nerves that everything would be all right, and also a little bit of morning the last minutes of my pregnancy.  Last time I will ever go into the hospital heavy with my baby and so much excitement.  The last time I will ever hear the excitement in my husband's voice when he sees our baby and tells me "he's okay honey, he really okay!" And see the look in eyes when he looks at our new tiny baby and falls in love with him.

But back to that morning... we got there right at 7 and got things started, bloodwork for me and monitoring of the baby.  Then my doctor popped in to say hello and that everything was running on time.  John got his clothes to wear for the OR room and was looking all ready.  Now it was time for me to walk my large body to the OR room.  The anesthesiologist was great and was able to get the spinal in quick and easy.  And then everything happens so fast, that was about 9am and they brought John back to where I was.  There was a little bit of a weird sensation with the pulling and pressure and I definitely felt a weird sensation when they pulled the baby out.  I heard someone call out 9:13 and then I heard the little cry that you always wait for.  They moved him to the warmer table where I got my first glimpse of him.  So beautiful and tiny and blonde.  A whole 5lbs and 4 oz of fiestiness.  After he was cleaned up and the APGARS taken he was wrapped and placed right on my chest for some skin to skin time.  Such an awesome moment to have the one little person you have waited 9 months to meet (or all your life) is there and he is gorgeous and healthy and so so alert.  There were a couple of concerns with his breathing and his blood sugars were low but our pediatrician wasn't worried and he was going to stay with me for the remainder of our stay. 











 Can you see my complete happiness of having this child in my arms??  So So much love and happiness here


Sweet little Finn Barron
 Jack and Charley meet their new brother finally.  I think they were a little nervous.





 Mackenzie and Finn  (Oldest and youngest)
 
A sweet big brother kiss, melts my heart.


I have a little bit of post-partum depression but otherwise .  everything is pretty perfect.  I still can't believe he is here.  It doesn't seem like very long ago that he was just something I wanted so much, something I prayed for every night.  Now, exactly who and what I prayed for is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment